Tuesday daily cattle summary
28 February 2017
At Toowoomba, cattle throughput increased 14% to 1,304 head. Supply increased marginally this week, with quality following a similar trend in places and most buyers operating a cheaper market.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 18¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 1¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors declined 8¢, averaging 234¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth increased 22%, to 1,580 head. Young supplies improved this week, with a fair offering of grown cattle also penned. Quality throughout all sections was fair to good, however well finished drafts were limited. Demand generally softened overall, underpinned by lesser activity from feedlot and processor buyers.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were back 38¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers gained 3¢, averaging 342¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed slipped 13¢, averaging 298¢/kg
Wagga cattle throughput declined 7%, to 4,000 head. The hotter conditions continued to show its effects in what was another mixed quality offering, with most lacking finish. Domestic processors struggled to find suitable steer types, while lighter heifer portions benefited from improved competition – with restockers active, however more selective in places.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed slipped 1¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed held firm, averaging 327¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 10¢, averaging 232¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 620¢, declining 2¢/kg cwt on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 3¢, averaging 330¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 289¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 291¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, averaging 222¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 333¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?