Tuesday daily cattle summary
07 March 2017
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers declined 54% to 600 head. Consisting mainly of a good supply of younger drafts, quality was mixed, with just a few pens of well finished yearlings selling to the trade. Grown cattle were also well supplied, with feeders and restockers active in a fluctuating market overall.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 8¢, averaging 352¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to feed reached 316¢, averaging 308¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors eased 8¢, to 206¢/kg
Cattle throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 12%, to 1,769 head. Quality was notably mixed this week, with a good supply of vealer and yearling drafts and the market varying throughout the sale. Some good young lines sold strongly to restocker and feeder buyers, while the usual processors were in attendance and were accompanied by some extra competition for heavier sections.
- Heavy C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 26¢, to 359¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 3¢, averaging 327¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter were back 6¢, averaging 218¢/kg
Wagga consignments held firm this week, at 4,000 head. Quality varied across the offering, with lighter weight secondary yearlings well supplied due to the dryer conditions. Well finished lines were limited and processors struggled as a result, while restockers were active however not to the extent seen in recent markets.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers reached 369¢, averaging 355¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 1¢, averaging 327¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were back 5¢, averaging 224¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 613.75¢/kg cwt, holding firm on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 2¢, averaging 333¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 296¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 290¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 218¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 326¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?