Tuesday daily cattle summary
09 August 2016
At Toowoomba this week, cattle numbers increased 2% to 829 head. Younger sections made up the bulk of the yarding, along with a fair selection of cows. All the usual buyers operated in a stronger market, with one additional buyer bidding keenly on heavier feeder steers.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 11¢, on 365¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers were up 17¢, averaging 334¢/kg
- Medium D1 cows to restockers gained 24¢, averaging 245¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 48%, to 1,079 head. Young cattle supplies lifted this week, with a few more heavy grown steers and cows penned. Quality and condition were mostly suited to restock and feeder orders, with all the usual buyers in attendance.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 41¢ dearer, at 383¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 16¢, averaging 378¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 3¢, averaging 254¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 1%, to 3,150 head. Market conditions climbed to new heights this week, with prices lifting substantially over most categories. Feedlot and northern restocker activity set the platform for the sale, with well-bred secondary steers settling significantly dearer week-on-week.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed jumped 14¢, averaging 390¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 7¢, averaging 361¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 9¢ higher, at 366¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter were up 12¢, averaging 279¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 698.75¢, up 6.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, to 374¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held firm, on 338¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 3¢, to 334¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, on 253¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 4¢, on 382¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?