Tuesday daily cattle summary
16 August 2016
This week at Toowoomba, cattle throughput declined 14% to 715 head. Young cattle were well represented, with a smaller penning of grown sections on offer. Vealers and weaners were also well supplied, with competition remaining strong for all classes of young cattle in particular.
- Light C2 vealer steers to processors averaged 371¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 9¢, averaging 363¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown steers to feed averaged 371¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 24%, to 3,900 head. Quality varied across all categories this week, with a good selection of supplementary fed trade and heavy cattle, setting the platform for the market. The better quality vealers sold mostly to processors, with the market mixed overall.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 17¢, averaging 369¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed gained 7¢, averaging 368¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 14¢ lower, at 352¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were back 8¢, averaging 284¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth cattle numbers increased 53%, to 1,656 head. Large selections of yearling cattle were on offer, with a smaller number of well finished grown steers seen week-on-week. Condition varied, however quality was fair to good, with a full field of buyers in attendance and demand for most classes remaining strong.
- Light C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 25¢ higher, at 410¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 2¢, averaging 376¢/kg
- Light D2 grown heifers to restockers slipped 2¢, averaging 264¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 720.50¢, up 0.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 3¢, on 374¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 336¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 339¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, on 259¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 2¢, on 385¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?