Tuesday daily cattle summary
23 August 2016
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers gained 16% to 830 head. Young cattle made up the bulk of the yarding, with weaners and lighter yearlings well supplied, along with a fair percentage of pens to export. Quality was mixed, with several drafts of young cattle suitable for restockers and feeders the exception, presenting in good condition.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were up 11¢, averaging 382¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed gained 1¢, averaging 369¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to processors were back 7¢, averaging 278¢/kg
Consignments at TRLX Tamworth declined 3%, to 1,607 head. Yearling sections were well represented, and a fair supply of cows were penned. Quality was mostly good, with a decent number of well finished trade cattle on offer to the regular buyers that were in attendance.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 396¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 9¢, averaging 379¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter jumped 6¢, averaging 272¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga declined 26% this week, to 2,900 head. The market was mixed overall, with secondary cattle making up the bulk of the offering and those suitable for the trade limited. Northern restockers and feedlots were particularly active, with fewer slaughter suitable vealer lines on offer.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed jumped 3¢, averaging 372¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 1¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown heifers to slaughter were up 9¢, averaging 336¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors gained 8¢, averaging 265¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 719.25¢, back 0.75¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, to 368¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 341¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 5¢, to 337¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 250¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held firm on 386¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?