Tuesday daily cattle summary
30 August 2016
This week at Toowoomba, cattle numbers declined 2% to 816 head. Young cattle were well supplied, with only a small penning of grown cattle on offer. Quality was mixed and most of the younger lines presented in plainer condition week-on-week, despite a handful of well finished supplementary fed yearlings.
- Medium C3 vealer steers to restockers gained 3¢, averaging 386¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to slaughter were up 7¢, to 355¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 362¢, up 1¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth consignments decreased 52%, to 770 head. Widespread showers the week prior saw producers withhold cattle, with quality throughout the offering fair to good and condition improving overall. Not all the regular buyers attended, with young cattle making up the bulk of the market and many supplementary fed.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 7¢, averaging 389¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed were back 7¢, averaging 372¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 7¢ lower, at 266¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 13%, to 3,285 head. Quality was mixed across all categories this week, with competition strengthening throughout the sale. A good selection of supplementary fed trade and heavy cattle were penned, while weaners and yearlings in store condition made up the bulk of the yarding.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 1¢, averaging 370¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 3¢ lower, at 365¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were back 2¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter gained 10¢, averaging 275¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 705.75¢, back 2¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 3¢, on 377¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 1¢, to 329¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm on 335¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 4¢, on 258¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 384¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?