Tuesday daily sheep summary
07 June 2016
Lamb throughput at Dubbo decreased 41% this week, to 14,127 head. Recorded showers across the supply area saw yardings ease, with quality good throughout trade and heavy weight drafts particularly. The usual buyers operated in a firm to dearer market, with heavy lambs well supplied and Merinos limited.
Mutton numbers declined 64%, to 4,355 head. Quality varied throughout the smaller yarding, with prices settling dearer overall.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter gained 21¢, at 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 610¢, back 4¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 636¢, down 2¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes jumped 49¢, to 425¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Bendigo declined 24%, to 15,557 head. Lamb quality was reasonable, with well finished crossbred and Merino lines coming off grain in good supply. The usual buying group operated in a fluctuating market overall, with the wet weather reportedly having an effect on some transporting lambs direct-to-works, resulting in extra demand from processors.
Mutton throughput near doubled this week, to 4,160 head. Quality remained notably mixed, with demand for heavy sheep easing week-on-week.
- Light weight 1 score old Merino lambs averaged 520¢, back 18¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs dropped 10¢, averaging 585¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter slipped 15¢, to 597¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs dropped 19¢, to 589¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes gained 7¢, averaging 380¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator gained 12¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 631¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were back 1¢, on 565¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 1¢, to 589¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 2¢, to 595¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were steady, on 602¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator gained 5¢, at 392¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?