Tuesday daily sheep summary
15 December 2015
Lamb yardings at Bendigo were down 13% week-on-week to 19,195 head in the last sale before the holiday break. Quality was mixed across all categories, with several pens of good shorn lamb on offer, however young lambs with longer wool were of average to fair quality and showing dryness. Competition for heavier trade and export lambs was strong from the full field of buyers in operation.
Sheep numbers fell 45% week-on-week to 6,533 head, and demand was weaker with not all the usual buyers in operation.
- Light weight 2 score young lambs to restockers averaged 530¢, up 4¢
- Trade weight 3 score first cross young lambs gained 19¢ to 494¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score lambs to restockers increased 11¢ to 563¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were up 34¢ to 558¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes fell 70¢ to 248¢/kg cwt
Dubbo lamb numbers decreased 26% week-on-week to 15,420 head. Trade and heavy weight lambs were well represented along with good numbers of lighter weight lambs. Most categories sold to a cheaper trend.
Sheep consignments dropped 37% week-on-week to 8,960 head, however there was a good selection of prime Merino ewes and heavy weight crossbreds on offer.
- Light weight 2 score young lambs to restockers were up 7¢ on 523¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter averaged 518¢/kg cwt, back 10¢
- Heavy weight 4 score lambs to slaughter decreased 34¢ to 523¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino ewes fell 71¢ to average 242¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator remained steady on 522¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were on 434¢, down 5¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were on 488¢, up 3¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were on 509¢, up 4¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were on 524¢, up 1¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished on 279¢, down 13¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?