Tuesday daily sheep summary
21 June 2016
Lamb throughput at Dubbo decreased 7% this week, to 13,205 head. Substantial rain across the supply area saw numbers reduce, with quality following a similar trend. Store lines, along with trade and heavy lambs in good condition were well represented, with most of the usual buyers active in a firm to dearer market overall.
Mutton consignments increased 57%, to 6,832 head. Quality was plain across the yarding, with lighter weights well supplied.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors gained 24¢, at 632¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were up 18¢, to 628¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 17¢ lower, on 619¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes jumped 39¢, at 414¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at Bendigo increased 7%, to 16,710 head. Supplies were relatively similar week-on-week, and quality improved marginally. Supplementary fed heavy weight lines were in particularly good condition, with the market trending dearer overall.
Mutton supply decreased 2% this week, to 4,087 head. Processor demand remained strong despite one exporter not attending, with heavy weight crossbred ewes well supplied.
- Trade weight 3 score old first-cross lambs gained 34¢, to 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter jumped 27¢, to 624¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 8¢ higher, at 597¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first-cross ewes averaged 334¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 613¢, up 22¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs held firm, on 555¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 2¢, to 589¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs held firm, on 609¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs held firm, on 614¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 2¢ higher, on 401¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?