Tuesday daily sheep summary
28 June 2016
Lamb supplies at Dubbo increased 74% this week, to 23,000 head. Quality was good and all the usual buyers operated in a dearer market, with heavy and extra heavy weights well represented. Trade weight lines in suitable condition were limited, however store and light lambs to processors were in good supply.
Mutton numbers decreased 19%, to 5,500 head. Quality was mixed week-on-week, with Merinos in longer wool selling to a dearer trend.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to processors gained 29¢, to 662¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter jumped 13¢, to 645¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 662¢, up 35¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs settled 28¢ dearer, on 647¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes were up 12¢, on 421¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at Bendigo decreased 12%, to 14,667 head. Quality was mixed, with demand strengthening across most categories. Domestic lines suitable to processors settled dearer, with domestic and export bidding setting the platform for the sale overall.
Mutton numbers declined marginally this week, yarding 4,043 head. Quality was mixed, with most weights and grades finishing dearer.
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs gained 1¢, averaging 607¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old first-cross lambs were up 42¢, to 651¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 3 score old lambs gained 70¢, to 648¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes jumped 16¢, averaging 425¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 616¢, back 16¢/kg cwt from where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs were up 18¢, on 583¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 7¢, on 608¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 10¢, on 643¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 8¢, to 652¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator was 2¢ higher, on 416¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?