Tuesday daily sheep summary
22 November 2016
At Dubbo, lamb numbers declined 15% to 13,220 head. It was a mixed yarding this week, with only the odd new season draft on offer, and similar number of heavier weights penned. A fair selection of old trade weights lines were also yarded and sold to a cheaper trend, with Merinos and Dorpers well represented.
Sheep consignments increased 29%, to 7,190 head. Most grades were on offer in what was a mixed yarding of mutton – with heavy weight wethers trending dearer.
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were back 3¢, averaging 539¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors gained 5¢, to 548¢/kg cwt
- Old season heavy weight 4 score lambs were up 2¢, at 568¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes finished 2¢ dearer, at 396¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino wethers gained 19¢, at 408¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at Bendigo decreased 18% this week, to 13,468 head. Quality ranged from average to very good across all categories, with the best young lambs sourced from southern districts. The regular array of buyers were active, with restockers and processors competing strongly on trade categories in sections.
Mutton numbers increased 81%, to 6,894 head. An improved offering of sheep were penned this week, with a notable lift in both weight and condition recorded across both crossbred and Merino sections.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers gained 27¢, to 630¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score lambs to slaughter were up 4¢, to 524¢/kg cwt
- New season extra heavy weight 4 score lambs were back 13¢, to 510¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes jumped 24¢, to 434¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator gained 1¢, averaging 617¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs slipped 14¢, to 494¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 1¢, to 563¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs held firm on 538¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs held steady at 530¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 5¢ higher, on 397¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?