Tuesday daily sheep summary
29 November 2016
Dubbo lamb throughput declined 1% this week, to 13,060 head. A much plainer supply of lambs were on offer, with both store types and white Dorpers making up a good percentage of the yarding. Well finished trade and heavy weight sections were limited and trended marginally dearer as a result.
Sheep consignments increased 35%, to 9,720 head. Quality was mostly good, with plainer conditioned lines limited throughout and a dearer trend recorded in sections.
- Old season light weight 2 score Merino lambs sold to 621¢, averaging 587¢/kg cwt
- Old season trade weight 3 score lambs to processors gained 20¢, to 570¢/kg cwt
- Old season heavy weight 4 score lambs to slaughter averaged 568¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were back 3¢, averaging 393¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino wethers eased 2¢, averaging 406¢/kg cwt
Lamb numbers at Bendigo decreased 4%, to 12,899 head. Quality varied throughout most categories this week, with some well-presented drafts of young lambs from southern regions continuing to come onto market. Conditions fluctuated as the sale progressed, as some buyers operated more selectively.
Mutton throughput declined 13%, to 6,000 head. Despite the easier trend, robust demand from processors continued this week, with good weight and cover resulting in strong interest from buyers.
- New season light weight 2 score lambs to restockers gained 9¢, averaging 598¢/kg cwt
- New season trade weight 3 score first-cross lambs slipped 3¢, to 518¢/kg cwt
- New season heavy weight 3 score lambs to slaughter eased 7¢, to 520¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes sold to 457¢, averaging 423¢, back 12¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 7¢, at 618¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs gained 7¢, to 499¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 5¢, to 570¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 3¢, on 529¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs eased 1¢, to 521¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 1¢ lower, at 398¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?