Tuesday daily sheep summary
31 January 2017
Lamb supplies at Dubbo declined 8%, to 18,320 head. A good quality yarding was on offer this week, and all the regular buyers competed in another strong market, with heavy and trade weight sections well supplied. Dorpers were also well represented, while Merinos were limited.
Sheep consignments increased 19%, to 9,200 head. A plainer quality yarding of mutton was on offer this week, with most sections holding firm to marginally cheaper.
- Trade weight 3 score old season lambs to processors gained 42¢, to 652¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old season lambs to slaughter were up 26¢, to 665¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old season lambs jumped 16¢, to 696¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino ewes slipped 20¢, to 398¢/kg cwt
Throughput at Bendigo decreased 52%, to 10,152 head. Quality ranged throughout the offering, with some lighter domestic sections often lacking finish and fat cover. Processor demand strengthened notably, with spirited bidding for medium and heavy trade sections setting the platform for the sale.
Mutton numbers declined 5% this week, to 3,798 head. Strong buyer competition resulted in a much dearer trend this week, with both Merinos and crossbred sections selling well.
- Trade weight 3 score old season first-cross lambs averaged 671¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old season lambs to slaughter gained 73¢, to 679¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 3 score old season lambs finished 46¢ dearer, at 664¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes were up 64¢, averaging 463¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 649¢, easing 14¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 570¢, up 9¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 615¢, up 6¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 615¢, up 10¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 634¢, up 13¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 10¢ higher, at 397¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?