Tuesday daily sheep summary
07 February 2017
This week at Dubbo, lamb numbers lifted 30% on the week prior, to 23,850 head. It was a good quality yarding, with a strong selection of heavy and trade weight lambs on offer. A larger supply of Merino and crossbred lambs in store condition were also well represented, while a steadier supply of lighter weights to suit processors resulted in a firmer trend.
Sheep throughput rose 14%, to 10,450 head. A mixed yarding of mutton was on offer this week, with most grades represented.
- Trade weight 3 score Old lambs to processors were down 52¢, averaging 600¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter were down 53¢, averaging 612¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter averaged 632, decreasing 64¢/kg cwt
- Heavyweight score 3 Merino ewes were down 13¢, averaging 372¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Bendigo over doubled this week to 21,181 head. Buyers showed resistance to a dearer market compared to the previous sale, with some bigger lines of lightweight lambs keenly sought after by restockers, and trending dearer in some places as a result.
Sheep throughput experienced a small 2% increase, yarding 3, 890 head. Quality was mixed and all buyers operated keenly.
- Trade weight 3 score Old first cross lambs averaged 626¢/kg, dropping 33¢
- Heavy weight 3 score Old first cross lambs dropped 50¢, averaging at 628¢/kg
- Medium weight 2 score2 Merino ewes reached 540¢, averaging 463¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 701¢, decreasing 6¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 587¢, up 1¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 634¢, down 1¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 639¢, down 7¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs averaged 646¢, down 11¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 3¢ lower, at 419¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?