Tuesday daily sheep summary
14 February 2017
This week at Dubbo, lamb numbers declined significantly (62%), to 14,930 head. A much plainer quality yarding was on offer compared to the previous sale, with a limited selection of heavy and trade weight lambs penned. Good conditioned Dorper lambs were well represented, however majority of the wider offering lacked finish.
Mutton consignments also declined – back 18%, to 8,580 head. Most grades were represented, in a good quality yarding resulting in buyers operating in a dearer market.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs were up 32¢, averaging 654¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to processors gained 69¢, averaging 681¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino ewes increased 20¢, averaging 431¢/kg cwt
At Bendigo, lamb numbers halved to 10,046 head. Quality was reasonable, however well finished lambs in store conditions were limited in supply. As a result, the market trended dearer, with regular buyers showing resistance and reducing their purchasing volumes.
Sheep supply remained firm week-on-week, at 3,852 head. Price trends were firm to dearer, with leaner trade weight Merino’s selling to strong demand.
- Trade weight 2 score Merino old lambs jumped 6¢, averaging 596¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old first cross lambs averaged 652¢, increasing 27¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy 3 score old first cross lambs were up 35¢, averaging 650¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes jumped 3¢, averaging 465¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 679¢, increasing 14¢/kg cwt from the previous day
- Merino lambs averaged 579¢, up 9¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 616¢, lifting 1¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs averaged 624¢, increasing 9¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs improved 8¢, averaging 631¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 7¢ higher, at 419¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?