Tuesday daily sheep summary
28 February 2017
Lamb numbers at Dubbo increased 6% this week, to 24,500 head. A mixed yarding was on offer, with a decent selection of trade and heavy weight drafts, along with the usual plainer representation. Most lighter types to processors held firm, while trade sections trended cheaper overall.
Sheep throughput declined 13%, to 10,900 head. A mostly good quality yarding was on offer this week, with the market improving on the losses recorded in the previous sale.
- Light weight 2 score Old lambs to restockers were up 15¢, averaging 602¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score Old lambs to processors eased 35¢, to 590¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Old lambs to slaughter slipped 28¢, to 602¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were back 16¢, to 379¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Bendigo declined 6%, to 13,084 head. Quality was plainer this week, with less weight and finish on offer. The usual buying group operated, however not as strongly compared to the week prior – with the market softer overall as a result.
Mutton throughput increased 55%, to 3,867 head. Quality remained notably mixed this week, with a good offering of smaller pens on offer.
- Light weight 2 score Old lambs to restockers reached 727¢, averaging 693¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score Old first-cross lambs eased 49¢, averaging 617¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score Old lambs averaging were back 55¢, at 600¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes declined 57¢, averaging 432¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 680¢, declining 13¢/kg cwt from the previous day.
- Merino lambs averaged 590¢, back 2¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs averaged 617¢/kg cwt, holding firm
- Trade lambs averaged 630¢, back 6¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs eased 7¢, averaging 633¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 2¢ dearer, at 420¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?