Tuesday daily sheep summary
09 August 2016
Lamb throughput at Dubbo declined 27% this week, to 25,850 head. It was a plainer quality yarding overall, with light weight lines well supplied. A few good drafts of trade and heavy weights were on offer, with extra heavy weight categories trending dearer.
Mutton consignments declined 14%, to 5,900 head. Most grades were represented in what was a fair quality yarding.
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs were up 13¢, averaging 539¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were back 10¢, on 636¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs were back 11¢, averaging 649¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were back 18¢, averaging 357¢/kg cwt
Bendigo lamb numbers increased 12%, to 8,444 head. Quality was very mixed this week, with the tail-end drafts of old season lambs well supplied and the usual array of buyers in attendance. Conditions for the better finished trade and export lines were firm to dearer, with bidding for plainer types fluctuating throughout the sale.
Mutton supplies increased 31%, to 3,310 head. It was an improved yarding of mutton, with more weight on offer, and a bigger run of bare-shorn Merinos.
- Trade weight 3 score new season lambs were 9¢ dearer, at 664¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score new season lambs eased 21¢, averaging 661¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score first-cross old lambs were back 2¢, on 607¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes jumped 20¢, averaging 379¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator averaged 578¢, up 17¢/kg cwt from where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs were back 6¢, to 556¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 4¢, to 587¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 5¢, on 650¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were back 2¢, on 643¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator gained 3¢, on 398¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?