Tuesday daily cattle summary
05 April 2016
Numbers at Toowoomba increased 2% this week, to 1,015 head. Young cattle dominated the yarding, along with a fair selection of grown steers, bullocks and cows. Most of the regular buyers operated, with the market cheaper overall.
- Light C2 yearling steers to feed were 1¢ lower, averaging 317¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 288¢, up 4¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were back 16¢, averaging 272¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth increased 23%, to 2,717 head. Young cattle were well supplied, with vealer lines making up the bulk of the offering. Quality across the pen was fair to good, however seasonal conditions were reflected in some categories.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 23¢, averaging 316¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to the same orders were back 20¢, to 284¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 290¢, back 8¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors were back 11¢, averaging 189¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 63% on a fortnight ago, yarding 4,555 head. Processor and feeder buyers operated keenly across most categories, with heifer lines selling to strong demand. Secondary yearling lines were well supplied, while cow throughput lifted significantly.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were 1¢ lower, averaging 316¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 297¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were 7¢ dearer, 296¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 239¢, up 4¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 575¢/kg cwt, holding firm on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were back 7¢, on 312¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held steady, on 293¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady, on 282¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 217¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, at 310¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?