Vic weekly cattle summary
16 July 2015
Cattle throughput eases
Cattle supply dropped to 10,951 head, representing a decrease of 13% week-on-week.
- Shepparton numbers remained steady on 2,200 head
- Leongatha and NVLX Barnawartha consignments fell by 27%, to 1,760 head and 2,643 head, respectively
- Supply at Warrnambool lifted by 21% to 800 head
- Bairnsdale throughput eased 24% to 641 head
- Ballarat and Camperdown were back 26% and 6%, to 315 head and 792 head, respectively
- Numbers at Colac were up 15%, totalling 385 head
- Pakenham throughput increased by 8% to 1,415 head
Cattle prices rise
C2 medium weight vealer steers to slaughter were 16¢ dearer, averaging 301.2¢ while those to feed returned 300.2¢, up 33¢/kg. Heavy weight C3’s reached 332.6¢ and averaged 316.5¢, up 5¢/kg.
Medium weight C3 vealer heifers to processors gained 11¢ to sell for 305.6¢, while heavy weights were 3¢ dearer on 313.9¢/kg.
Medium weight yearling steers to slaughter were 8¢ dearer, averaging 312.7¢, while heavy weight C3’s to feeders returned 315.4¢, up 6¢/kg. Heavy weights to slaughter were 9¢ dearer on 317.4¢/kg.
Yearling heifers in the medium weight category reached 318.2¢ and averaged 301¢, up 6¢/kg. Those in the heavy weight category to slaughter returned 300.8¢ for C3’s and 290.4¢ for D3’s, up 7¢ to 8¢/kg.
Medium weight C3 grown steers averaged 313.4¢, up 4¢, while their grown heifer counterparts gained 9¢ to average 317.4¢/kg. Grown heifers to feeds returned an average of 315.4¢, up 6¢/kg.
Cows to processors made 217.7¢ for medium weights and 246.8¢ for heavy weights to be 1¢ cheaper and 3¢/kg dearer respectively. Dairy cows reached 229¢ and averaged 206¢ to be 10¢/kg dearer.
Note: All yardings and prices referenced from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?