Vic weekly cattle summary
30 July 2015
Cattle throughput eases
Cattle supply decreased to 10,663 head, representing a 12% decline week-on-week.
- Shepparton numbers were up 14%, at 2,400 head
- Leongatha throughput was down 12%, at 1,667 head
- NVLX Barnawartha consignments decreased 17%, to 2,335 head
- Supply at Warrnambool dropped by 25%, to 830 head
- Bairnsdale throughput was down 20%, to 643 head
- Ballarat and Camperdown decreased 25% and 11%, to 272 head and 775 head, respectively
- Numbers at Colac were down 31%, totalling 1,177 head
- Pakenham throughput increased by 20%, to 1,701 head
Cattle prices lift
C2 medium weight vealer steers to feed were 1¢ cheaper, averaging 299.3¢/kg. Heavy weight C3 vealer steers to slaughter reached 355¢ and averaged 333.8¢/kg.
Medium weight C2 vealer heifers to processors gained 4¢ to sell for 297.8¢, while heavy weights were 24¢ dearer on 305.5¢/kg.
Medium weight yearling steers to feeders were 17¢ dearer, averaging 315.3¢, while heavy weight C3 steers to slaughter returned 336¢, up 19¢/kg. Heavy weights to feed were up 12¢, averaging 321.8¢/kg, and reaching 341¢/kg.
Yearling heifers in the medium weight category reached 350¢ and averaged 324.3¢, up 18¢/kg. Those in the heavy weight category to slaughter returned 318.1¢ for C3 grades and 302.2¢ for D3 lines, up 11¢ and 10¢/kg, respectively.
Heavy weight C3 grown steers averaged 331.1¢, up 15¢, while their grown heifer counterparts gained 13¢ to average 285.8¢/kg.
Cows to processors made 220.8¢ for medium weights and 264¢ for heavy weights to be 28¢ and 17¢/kg dearer, respectively. Dairy cows reached 269.6¢ and averaged 249.9¢ to be 16¢/kg dearer.
Note: All yardings and prices referenced from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?