Wednesday daily cattle summary
05 October 2016
Numbers at Roma Store sale lifted by 54% to 2,468 head and consisted of generally good quality which included plenty of light weight cattle. The market remained strong on the back of increased competition from restockers, including those looking to secure cattle to fatten on crop, feeder operators and export processors.
- C2 light yearling steers restockers were 5¢ dearer, averaging 425¢
- light weight C2 yearling heifers to restockers returned 395¢, up 5¢ while medium weights to feed lifted 5¢ and averaged 369¢/kg
- Medium weight C3 grown steers to feed were 16¢ easier on 338¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX Carcoar eased to 1,057 head. Quality declined, with the yarding predominantly comprising of secondary and feeder cattle, with limited number of prime cattle offered. Competition waned as fewer of the regular buyers participated, resulting in a cheaper market.
- Light C2 yearling steers to feed were 22¢ cheaper, averaging 369¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feeder buyers averaged 348¢, back 22¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 grown steers reached 367¢ and averaged 353¢/kg
Despite the widespread flooding in the region, NVLX Wodonga saw 1,400 head yarded, back 300 head week-on-week. Quality improved, with an increased number of yearlings finished on grain or silage consigned. The usual buyers attended but some feeder buyers didn’t operate.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors lifted 17¢, averaging 390¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 366¢, up 9¢ while medium weights jumped 17¢ and averaged 375¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were back 14¢, averaging 348¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 719¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were on 380¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were on 356¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were on 344¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were 256¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished on 378¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?