Wednesday daily cattle summary
06 July 2016
Throughput at Roma Store near doubled this week, yarding 10,600 head. Good quality local weaner steers and heifers were in notable supply, with plenty of restocker and feeder buyer activity throughout the sale. Light weight heifers sold to strong competition, with conditions mixed across most categories.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 381¢, back 3¢, while medium C3 lines to feed averaged 359¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 20¢, averaging 358¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 2¢, to 250¢/kg
Numbers at CTLX increased significantly week-on-week, yarding 2,970 head. Younger prime cattle were quite limited, however those to suit feeders and backgrounders were well supplied. The market was mixed overall, with young trade lines easing, and most cow categories following a similar trend.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 370¢, back 18¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers eased 26¢, to 322¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 330¢, back 13¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 29¢, averaging 252¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga increased 31%, to 1,400 head. All classes were represented, with a mixed selection of supplementary fed yearlings and grown cattle. Plainer light weight vealer and yearling categories were well supplied, with not all feedlot buyers operating, and processors more selective.
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers averaged 342¢, back 2¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were back 13¢, averaging 333¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors finished 22¢ lower, averaging 328¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 659.25¢, back 1.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 2¢, on 342¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 12¢, on 346¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 332¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, at 246¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held firm, on 359¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?