Wednesday daily cattle summary
11 May 2016
Consignments at Roma Store decreased 47% this week, to 2,500 head. Supply tightened throughout the week due to scattered showers, with quality varying across the yarding. The usual buyers operated, with good quality lines attracting strong competition from feedlot buyers, and restockers more selective on lighter weights.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 308¢, back 9¢, while medium C3 lines to feed dropped 29¢, averaging 264¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 278¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter were 10¢ dearer, averaging 216¢/kg
Cattle throughput at CTLX declined 15%, to 2,040 head. Yardings eased following the much needed rain recorded across the region, with a good amount of quality on offer. Young cattle to suit feeder orders were well supplied, along with a fair number to the trade. Cows were also well represented, however prime bullocks were limited.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers were 1¢ dearer, averaging 325¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown steers to feed were 17¢ lower, averaging 298¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were 12¢ dearer, averaging 224¢/kg
Numbers at NVLX Wodonga decreased 29%, to 1,000 head. Wet weather saw producers deterred from the sale, with numbers slipping and quality improving overall. Supplementary fed yearlings were well represented, with processors setting the platform for the sale, and operating keenly in both export and trade categories.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors averaged 325¢, up 17¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were 12¢ dearer, averaging 307¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to the same orders were up 16¢, to 311¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 568¢, down 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 5¢, on 317¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were steady, on 269¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 280¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 204¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, at 311¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?