Wednesday daily cattle summary
15 June 2016
Throughput at Roma Store increased 83% this week, to 5,750 head. Store lines were in good supply, with restockers providing strong support for light weight steers and vealers. Feeder buyer competition strengthened, with medium and heavy yearling steer prices reaching their highest on record as a result.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 8¢, to 358¢, while medium C3 lines to feed jumped 15¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 9¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors finished 7¢ dearer, averaging 233¢/kg
Cattle numbers at CTLX increased 84%, to 2,450 head. Quality remained fair, with yearling categories making up the bulk of the yarding. Supplementary fed lines presented in notable condition, with grown cattle fairly limited and the market finishing firm to dearer.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed jumped 5¢, to 357¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 320¢, up 10¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors averaged 223¢, up 1¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Wodonga increased 39%, to 1,136 head. Most of the usual buyers were in attendance, with grass finished cattle lacking finish and fewer supplementary fed yearlings penned. Strong competition was seen from one northern buyer in particular, operating across all steer categories.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 9¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers averaged 317¢, up 7¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers finished 7¢ dearer, averaging 320¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 607.75¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers averaged 334¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 323¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 301¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 235¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 338¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?