Wednesday daily cattle summary
19 October 2016
Throughput at Roma Store sale jumped 25% week-on-week to 8,600 head. Light steers continued to attract solid restocker buyer competition, while all other categories of yearling steers and heifers were cheaper. Feedlot buyers were more conservative when purchasing and cows sold to a cheaper trend.
- Light weight C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 4¢, averaging 421¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were 9¢ cheaper on 358¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were 8¢ easier, settling on 393¢/kg
- Medium weight D3 cow sold to processors 19¢ easier on 239¢/kg
Consignments to NVLX Wodonga increased by 25% to 2,000 head of good quality cattle, which included only an odd line of supplementary fed cattle. The usual buyers were present and competed in an erratic market.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 18¢ to average 351¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were 27¢ cheaper on 321¢/kg
- Medium weight C3 grown steers to processors were back 31¢ on 318¢/kg
Numbers at CTLX Carcoar decreased to 1,200 head. Yearlings were the majority in a good quality yarding, along with a good selection of well finished cows and grown steers. Not all the regular buyers were operating in a cheaper market.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed eased 21¢ to 346¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were back 9¢ to settle on 330¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter slipped 12¢ to average 313¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 12¢ to 255¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 688¢, down 8.75¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 8¢, on 361¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 9¢, on 317¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers slipped 2¢, on 318¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 5¢,on 243¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 5¢ easier, on 371¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?