Wednesday daily cattle summary
20 July 2016
Cattle throughput at Roma Store declined significantly, yarding 1,374 head. Substantial rainfall across the supply area resulted in a much smaller number of cattle penned this week, with quality much plainer. Light weight yearling steers sold particularly dearer, with most other categories following a similar trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 3¢, averaging 381¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 8¢ lower, at 327¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 18¢ higher, at 261¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX increased 67%, to 2,093 head. Quality improved this week, with a larger number of prime yearlings penned. Younger sections made up the majority of the yarding, and feeder buyers were particularly active on most lines. Not all the usual buyers operated in what was a firm to dearer market overall.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 2¢ lower, at 370¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to processors were up 10¢, at 354¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter were back 1¢, averaging 232¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga declined 4%, to 1,060 head. The market settled dearer across most categories, and quality slipped week-on-week. Feeder buyers operated strongly on secondary grades, improving prices, while a limited supply of supplementary fed cattle saw conditions follow a similar trend.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 8¢ higher, averaging 366¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were up 9¢, averaging 350¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter eased 6¢, averaging 344¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 660.25¢, up 1.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 6¢, on 356¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 10¢, on 345¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 323¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were firm, on 246¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 3¢, to 364¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?