Wednesday daily cattle summary
17 August 2016
Cattle throughput at Roma Store sale eased 10% to 6,348 head. The yarding consisted mainly of good quality cattle, suitable for restockers, back grounders and feeders. There was a good line up of buyers at the sale competing at strong prices, which were similar to last week’s sale.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 399¢, back 6¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 11¢, averaging 391¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 375¢ while those to restock averaged 389¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 grown steers to feed hit 308¢ and averaged 365¢/kg
Numbers at NVLX Wodonga jumped 15% to 1,500 head. Quality was mixed over trade weight categories, with odd pens of well finished supplementary fed stock. Vealer and well finished yearling steer prices lifted due to limited supply while subdued feeder competition saw unfinished yearling prices slip.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 9¢, averaging 374¢/kg
- Processors purchased heavy C2 yearling heifers for an average of 349¢, back 10¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors sold 9¢ lower, on 348¢/kg
CTLX saw a total of 1,930 head yarded, up 19% week-on-week. It was a fair to good quality yarding, with a good selection of grown cattle and young cattle in good condition, along with good numbers of young cattle to suit the restockers and feeders.
- Heavy weight C2 yearling steers to feed were 5¢ dearer, averaging 403¢ while those weighing over 400kg averaged 407¢/kg
- Medium weight C2 grown steers to feed were 24¢ easier on 374¢/kg
- D4 heavy weight cows sold to processors for an average of 280¢, back 7¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) reached 725¢, up 4.5¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers jumped 2¢ to 376¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, on 338¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers eased 2¢ to 337¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 255¢, back 4¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held firm, on 384¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?