Wednesday daily cattle summary
29 June 2016
Throughput at Roma Store increased significantly this week, yarding 5,140 head. Following rain reduced supplies the weeks prior, quality was good, with light weight yearling lines well represented. Export slaughter categories sold to particularly strong demand, and the inclusion of some online bidders from interstate resulted in a dearer trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 4¢, averaging 383¢, while medium lines to feed averaged 366¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers jumped 11¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to feed averaged 308¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors settled 2¢ lower, averaging 274¢/kg
Cattle numbers at CTLX declined 16%, to 1,312 head. Quality was mixed, with weaner categories in good supply, while feeder steers and heifers were limited. Well finished cattle suitable for the trade were strong in number, and all the usual buyers were present and operating in a dearer market.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 23¢, averaging 388¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling seers to feed averaged 1¢ higher, on 366¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors held firm, averaging 243¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga eased 3%, to 1,070 head. Quality varied across most categories this week, with supplementary fed yearlings and heavy grown steers presenting in notable condition. The usual buying group were present, along with some added restocker competition from both northern and local regions.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 1¢, averaging 345¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors jumped 12¢, averaging 345¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers sold to 365¢, averaging 350¢, and up 19¢/kg overall
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 655.75¢, up 8.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, to 351¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 6¢, to 331¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, on 327¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were steady, on 255¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, to 358¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?