Wednesday daily cattle summary
27 July 2016
Following last week’s rain affected sale, cattle numbers at Roma Store increased substantially to 7,290 head. Quality was fair to good, with restockers particularly active, along with the usual feedlot buyers. Competition was strong for all categories, with medium and heavy weight yearling steers selling to a dearer trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 2¢, averaging 379¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed were up 18¢, to 355¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 26¢, averaging 353¢, while medium D3 lines to feed averaged 41¢ higher, at 354¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX declined 57%, to 906 head. Rainfall across the supply area saw numbers tighten this week, with quality much plainer and prime cattle limited. Yearling categories made up the bulk of the offering, with a good mix of cows penned, and the usual group buyers operated in a dearer market.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 24¢, averaging 413¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed gained 18¢, averaging 388¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors were up 1¢, averaging 234¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Wodonga increased 8%, to 1,140 head. A mixed price trend underlined most categories, with the offering plainer week-on-week. Supplementary fed cattle were limited in supply, trending dearer, while competition between buyers fluctuated throughout the sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 3¢, averaging 363¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 345¢, back 5¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were up 9¢, averaging 353¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 666.50¢, up 6.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 3¢, on 365¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 10¢, on 338¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 5¢, on 335¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 3¢, on 256¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, to 368¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?