Wednesday daily cattle summary
12 August 2015
Throughput at Roma Store declined 13% week-on-week but still remained high, at 9,179 head. Large numbers of restockers came forward and competed against the usual panel of feeder buyers.
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling steers to restockers improved 1¢, to average 311¢ and sell to a top of 330¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers eased 3¢, averaging 286¢/kg
- Light (200-280kg) D2 yearling heifers returning to the paddock improved 2¢, averaging 262¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter slipped 5¢, to average 219¢/kg
Consignments to CTLX were fairly steady, at 2,570 head, and quality was fair, with a portion of young cattle showing the effects of winter.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feeder buyers were steady, at 331¢, while the same lines to the trade slipped 10¢, averaging 333¢/kg
- Similar weight and condition yearling heifers to the trade improved 6¢, averaging 321¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers eased 2¢, averaging 341¢/kg (or an estimated 630¢/kg cwt)
- Heavy D4 cows improved 7¢, averaging 265¢/kg
Numbers returned at NVLX, with throughput increasing 43% week-on-week to 1,755 head. Quality remained mixed but there was a good selection of supplementary fed yearlings and increased numbers of grown steers and bullocks on offer. There was additional local restocker interest, following rain over the weekend, and the usual processor buyers were in attendance.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers eased 1¢, averaging 322¢, while the heavier portion to the same orders improved 6¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade slipped 10¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers were steady, at 342¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 566.00¢, up 0.50¢/kg cwt on where if finished the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 327¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 312¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 306¢, back 4¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 320¢, up 4¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 235¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?