Wednesday daily cattle summary
15 July 2015
Throughput at Roma Store declined 28%, to 8,846 head. Overall quality declined but the young light weight cattle in good condition attracted solid competition. Medium and heavy weight young steer prices mostly eased, partly due to quality. Similar trends were recorded in the heifer portion.
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling steers to restockers slipped 15¢, averaging 290¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling steers to restockers eased 14¢, to 287¢/kg
- Light (200-280kg) D2 yearling heifers returning to the paddock averaged 262¢, back 9¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to feed on improved 2¢, averaging 267¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 1¢, to 206¢/kg
Consignments to CTLX more than halved, to 1,670 head, but overall quality was good. Prices across most categories improved and EYCI eligible cattle, on average, increased 31.20¢/kg cwt, to 591.48¢/kg – making it the dearest young cattle market in the eastern states (of saleyards reported by the NLRS).
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feeder buyers improved 3¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to the same orders jumped 19¢, to 323¢/kg
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling heifers to restockers jumped 22¢, to 288¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter surged 48¢, to 335¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors gained 7¢, to 249¢/kg
NVLX Barnawartha yarded 1,721 head, back 32% week-on-week. Quality improved, with greater numbers of supplementary fed finished slaughter cattle on offer, and prices trended dearer.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feeder buyers improved 6¢, to 317¢/kg
- The same lines to slaughter gained 11¢, averaging 324¢/kg
- Similar condition slaughter heifers improved 14¢, to 305¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors improved 9¢, to average 319¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 537.50¢, back 0.75¢/kg cwt on the previous day
- Trade steers averaged 305¢/kg lwt, steady
- Feeder steers made 302¢/kg lwt, steady
- Medium steers slipped 9¢, to 275¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 303¢, up 6¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows made 217¢/kg lwt, steady
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA’s National Livestock Reporting Service (NLRS) reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?