Wednesday daily cattle summary
02 November 2016
This week at Roma Store, cattle numbers increased 2% to 5,900 head. Quality was plain and all the usual buyers were in attendance. Feedlotters were operating selectively once again, while others bid keenly on plainer steer sections at times. Overall, yearling heifers settled mostly cheaper and cows followed a similar trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 1¢, averaging 402¢, while medium C3 lines to feed were back 6¢, averaging 343¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 4¢, to 370¢, while medium D3 lines to feed slipped 14¢, averaging 309¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to feed finished 4¢ dearer, averaging 316¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX Carcoar increased 11%, to 1,370 head. It was a fair to good quality yarding this week, with some top lines of well finished grown steers and heifers. Yearling and cow sections also presented in good condition, with a limited number of young trade cattle resulting in a firmer trend.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed gained 8¢, averaging 359¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were back 6¢, averaging 314¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter slipped 3¢, averaging 243¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Barnawartha increased 6%, to 1,700 head. Supported by favourable spring conditions, the quality throughout the offering was outstanding. The usual group of buyers competed in a fluctuating market, with top quality vealers selling mostly to steady demand.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling heifers to slaughter slipped 10¢, averaging 317¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors finished 10¢ lower, at 311¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 661.75¢, down 3¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 346¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 5¢, on 312¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, to 303¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢,on 230¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 1¢ lower, at 357¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?