Wednesday daily cattle summary
03 August 2016
Cattle throughput at Roma Store declined 18% this week, to 6,000 head. Most consignments were sourced from south western regions, with extra restocker competition boosting light weight yearling steers to record levels. Despite the mixed quality yarding, all classes attracted strong demand, with the market dearer overall.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 19¢, to 397¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed averaged 368¢, up 14¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 7¢, averaging 360¢, while heavy D3 lines to feed gained 2¢, on 356¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 272¢, up 3¢/kg
Numbers at CTLX increased 77%, to 1,605 head. Following a week of fine weather, yardings lifted, with a good level of quality and selection of prime cattle seen in all sections. Young cattle were also well represented, with most to suit both feeder and restocker buyers.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 3¢, averaging 410¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 8¢, averaging 397¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to processors slipped 19¢, averaging 353¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga declined 18%, to 930 head. Limited supply bolstered market conditions this week, with quality mixed due to the cold and wet conditions. Not all the regular export buyers operated fully, and a firm to dearer trend underlined the sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 4¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 9¢ higher, at 353¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were up 3¢, averaging 356¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 687¢, up 10¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 5¢, on 374¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 5¢, on 332¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, on 343¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 253¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 3¢, to 376¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?