Wednesday daily cattle summary
09 November 2016
Cattle numbers at Roma Store increased 14% this week, to 6,700 head. It was a mixed quality yarding, with several drafts presenting in good condition. All the usual restocker buyers were present, however operated more selectively, while extra feedlot competition resulted in a dearer trend for medium weight yearlings.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 8¢, averaging 394¢, while medium C3 lines to feed gained 13¢, to 356¢/kg.
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 1¢, averaging 372¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to restockers gained 11¢, averaging 239¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX Carcoar increased 10%, to 1,510 head. It was a plainer quality yarding this week, with prime conditioned yearlings and grown steers limited. Cow supplies remained strong, however not all the regular buyers operated in what was a cheaper market overall.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were back 5¢, averaging 354¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to feed sold to 348¢, averaging 332¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors eased 4¢, to 239¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Barnawartha increased 6%, to 1,800 head. Quality across most categories was outstanding once again, with the majority in top spring condition. A bigger field of buyers were present and competed in a mostly softer market overall.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors held firm, averaging 342¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter were back 11¢, averaging 306¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to the same orders made 315¢, up 4¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’ markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 654.75¢, down 2.75¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were back 6¢, at 340¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 5¢, on 303¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers eased 2¢, at 298¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 3¢,on 230¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 2¢ lower, at 351¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?