Wednesday daily cattle summary
23 November 2016
This week at Roma Store, cattle numbers remained similar at 5,500 head. It was a very mixed quality yarding, with plenty of restocker buyers in attendance keen to secure lighter weight yearlings. Aged western sorts were also well supplied, with strong competition seen for light weight yearling heifers between all buyers and processors showing more interest in cow sections.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 8¢, averaging 371¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed gained 1¢, to 333¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 12¢, averaging 368¢/kg, while medium D3 drafts to feeder buyers jumped 14¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown feeder steers slipped 5¢, averaging 308¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX Carcoar increased 39%, to 1,600 head. It was a fair quality yarding this week, with a good selection of cows and grown cattle on offer, and steers trending dearer overall. Young sections were also in good supply and well suited to both feeder and backgrounding orders, with those to the trade finishing cheaper.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 2¢, averaging 369¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to feed sold to 338¢, averaging 307¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 2¢, averaging 238¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Barnawartha reached 2,300 head, holding mostly firm on the week prior. Quality across the offering was once again very good, with the market mixed overall as a result of fluctuating bidding. The usual spring buyers were in attendance, however not all domestic processors were operating fully.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 4¢, averaging 328¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors gained 4¢, averaging 314¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were back 4¢, at 310¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 650.50¢, up 2.25¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers were back 4¢, at 339¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 1¢, on 301¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers gained 1¢, at 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm at 234¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held steady at 354¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?