Wednesday daily cattle summary
30 November 2016
Throughput at Roma Store declined 16%, to 4,600 head. Quality across store lines improved week-on-week, with restocker and feeder demand lifting as buyers from NSW bid keenly on suitable light and medium weight feeder steers. Store cows held mostly firm in price, while processors operated strongly on the better quality types
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 397¢, while medium C3 sections to feed gained 31¢, reaching 410¢ and averaging 389¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 11¢, to 357¢, while medium D3 lines to feed were back 8¢, at 322¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were back 1¢, averaging 234¢/kg
Cattle numbers at CTLX Carcoar increased 14%, to 1,820 head. A good quality yarding was on offer this week, with cows and grown steers in notable supply. Good young cattle, suitable for processor and feeder buyers, were also well represented - with trade types holding mostly firm on the previous sale.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were back 8¢, averaging 335¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder heifers were up 5¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter gained 2¢, averaging 240¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Barnawartha increased 13%, to 2,600 head. Quality throughout the offering was excellent, as good numbers of grass finished yearlings came onto the market. The usual buying group competed in an easier market overall, with most categories trending lower week-on-week.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 1¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were back 16¢, averaging 297¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors eased 12¢, to 295¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 642.25¢, back 1¢/kg cwt from where it settled the previous day
- Trade steers slipped 8¢, 331¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers dropped 14¢, on 283¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 2¢, at 299¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows eased 2¢, on 232¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled 3¢ lower, at 347¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?