Wednesday daily cattle summary
25 January 2017
Cattle throughput at Roma Store increased 26% this week, to 4,740 head. Overall, quality was mostly good, with restockers and feeder buyers operating keenly as a result. Yearling sections trended dearer, while additional export support was seen for cow categories that also finished firm to dearer.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 7¢, averaging 403¢, while heavy C3 feeder sections were up 8¢, to 353¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 12¢, averaging 360¢, while medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 329¢, up 18¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors sold to 267¢, averaging 257¢, holding firm
Numbers at CTLX Carcoar declined 5%, to 2,661 head. Quality remained fair to good this week, despite the lower offering, with most of the younger cattle penned better suited to feeder orders. Trade and grown sections were limited, with trade and feeder buyers active, while a slightly smaller export buying group were in attendance.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were up 12¢, averaging 341¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed slipped 3¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 1¢, averaging 241¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Barnawartha held steady this week at 2,000 head. However, quality did improve notably throughout trade categories, with all the usual buyers present. Market conditions varied as the sale progressed, with the supply of good quality veal selling stronger, driven by spirited processor activity.
- Heavy B2 vealer steers to processors gained 3¢, averaging 350¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 5¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to processors were back 7¢, averaging 314¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 651.25¢/kg, holding firm on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 342¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 304¢, up 4¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 302¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 234¢/kg lwt, holding firm
- Feeder steers settled on 351¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?