Wednesday daily cattle summary
01 February 2017
This week at Roma Store, cattle throughput declined 8% to 4,362 head. Quality throughout the yarding remained fair to good, despite the absence of the young well-bred lighter drafts that had been on offer in previous weeks. A large panel of buyers operated, with top quality light weight yearlings selling strongly to restockers – while heavier weights to feed followed a similar trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 1¢, to 404¢, while medium C2 lines to feed were up 13¢, averaging 371¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 12¢, averaging 348¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 1¢, averaging 258¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX Carcoar declined 16%, to 2,246 head. The slip in numbers was made up mainly of yearlings, with prime young cattle continuing to remain in short supply. Grown steers presented in good condition, and an additional buyer operated alongside the usual group in a dearer market overall.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed gained 7¢, averaging 352¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 4¢, averaging 330¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors eased 7¢, averaging 222¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Barnawartha held firm this week, at 2,000 head. The usual domestic and export buyers were present, with some added feeder and restocker support seen compared to previous sales. Well finished cattle offerings were limited, resulting in a premium trend, as vealer drafts sold to particularly strong demand.
- Medium B2 vealer steers to processors were up 15¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed gained 8¢, averaging 337¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to slaughter jumped 3¢, to 317¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 654.50¢, gaining 3.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 337¢, up 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 298¢, back 5¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 305¢/kg lwt, firm
- Medium cows averaged 235¢, down 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled on 356¢, up 4¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?