Wednesday daily cattle summary
08 February 2017
Cattle numbers at Roma Store jumped 75% this week, yarding 7,649 head. The continued warm conditions assisted the increase in supply, with top quality lines of yearling steers attracting strong competition. Heifer portions sold to an easier trend however, with additional restockers operating alongside the usual feeder and export buyers.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 20¢, to 384¢, while medium lines to feed were back 11¢, averaging 360¢/kg.
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 328¢, averaging 20¢ lower, while medium feeder drafts slipped 14¢, to 320¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 10¢, averaging 248¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX Carcoar increased 44%, to 3,245 head. Overall, quality was good, with a limited supply of trade types on offer and feeder buyers operating keenly on most grades. Grown steers and bullocks were in reasonable supply however buyer competition eased compared to the previous sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 335¢, dropping 5¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 13¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were 6¢ cheaper, averaging 240¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Barnawartha lifted 20%, to 2,400 head. Quality improved across all trade categories, with a good offering of vealers and trade steers. The usual domestic and export buyers were present as well a larger group of feedlot buyers, with bidding fluctuating throughout the sale.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were down 9¢, averaging 328¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed dropped 8¢, averaging 316¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to slaughter eased 6¢, averaging 311¢, while C4 bullocks to the same orders averaged 305¢, back 11¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 646¢, decreasing 9¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers averaged 345¢, dropping 3¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers increased 2¢, averaging 298¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers eased 1¢, averaging 305¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows slipped 1¢, averaging 233¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers settled on 353¢, down 2¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?