Wednesday daily cattle summary
15 February 2017
Cattle numbers at Roma Store declined 42% this week, to 4,456 head. Recent extreme weather conditions restricted stock movements, with yearling quality reducing particularly as a result. A fair panel of buyers were in attendance, with several restockers bidding keenly throughout.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 10¢, averaging 374¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 341¢, increasing 13¢, while the heavy lines to feeders averaged 316¢, back 5¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steersto slaughter jumped 2¢, averaging 301¢/kg
Cattle consignments at CTLX Carcoar decreased 27% this week, to 2,363 head. Quality overall slipped week-on-week, with grown cattle in good supply and younger cattle limited. All usual buyers operated, along with the inclusion of an extra trade buyer, with young cattle trending dearer
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 345¢, falling 7¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feeders jumped 3¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors gained 5¢, averaging 215¢/kg
Throughput in NVLX Barnawartha declined 33% this week, to 1,600 head. Quality varied throughout most sections, with well finished cattle in reasonable supply. Usual domestic and export buyers operated against strong competition from some feeders and restockers, with well finished stock attracting the greatest interest.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed slipped 1¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors increased 11¢, averaging 320¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steersto slaughter averaged 313¢, jumping 2¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) declined 1¢ on where it finished the previous day, averaging 638¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers held firm, at 327¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 295¢, back 7¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 296¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 228¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 341¢, falling 8¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?