Wednesday daily cattle summary
10 August 2016
Roma Store cattle throughput increased 17% this week, to 7,029 head. Consignments in store condition were once again well supplied, with the majority drawn from south western regions. Restocker and feeder buyers were active in a dearer market, with one major feedlot buyer purchasing 15 pens of heavy weight feeder steers at a record $590,000.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 8¢, averaging 405¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed were up 1¢, at 369¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 18¢, averaging 377¢, while medium D3 lines to feed averaged 365¢, up 8¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX increased 1%, to 1,625 head. It was a mixed yarding, with well-finished young cattle and cows well supplied. All the regular buyers were in attendance and competed in a very solid market, with young cattle to the trade trending dearer.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 16¢ higher, at 411¢/kg
- Medium C2 grown feeder steers were up 16¢, averaging 398¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 11¢, averaging 286¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga increased 40%, to 1,300 head. Secondary classed cattle prices strengthened this week, with quality improving over trade weight categories particularly. Supplementary fed steers and heifers were well supplied, however not all export buyers operated fully.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 17¢, averaging 384¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 359¢, up 6¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were up 2¢, averaging 358¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 709¢, up 10.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 3¢, to 371¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 5¢, on 343¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm, on 345¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 254¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, on 384¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?