Wednesday daily cattle summary
22 February 2017
At Roma Store this week, cattle yardings increased 31% to 5,849 head. Cooler conditions allowed a larger offering of stock, with quality continuing to vary throughout all categories. Restockers bid keenly on the usual lines, with heifer portions the exception – while demand from feeder buyers eased compared to the previous sale.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were up 6¢, averaging 379¢, while medium drafts to feed eased 6¢, to 343¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were back 4¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors eased 4¢, averaging 235¢/kg
Numbers at CTLX Carcoar increased 23%, to 2,903 head. Despite the greater offering, quality slipped – with many lines showing the effects of the seasonal conditions. Light and medium weight vealers were well supplied, while trade cattle were limited. A smaller field of buyers attended the sale, with one particular trade buyer not operating in a cheaper market overall.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed slipped 15¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 20¢, averaging 301¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter were back 1¢, averaging 214¢/kg
NVLX Barnawartha consignments increased 19%, to 1,900 head. Quality throughout trade categories improved this week, with the usual buying group in attendance. Restocker interest strengthened particularly due to limited supplies of lighter weight yearlings, while vealer quality was reflective of the hotter weather in recent weeks – resulting in cheaper trend.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 5¢, averaging 321¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter slipped 1¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors eased 7¢, to 306¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) declined 5¢ on where it finished the previous day, averaging 631¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were back 1¢, averaging 329¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 292¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 296¢, down 2¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows held firm, at 226¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 337¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?