Wednesday daily cattle summary
01 March 2017
At Roma Store this week, cattle yardings declined 40% to 3,534 head. A mixed offering of average quality young cattle along with a smaller penning of grown lines were yarded, with the regular buyers operating in a fluctuating market. Light and medium weight yearlings made up the bulk of the yarding, with restockers active following some scattered showers throughout the region.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 34¢, averaging 346¢, while medium C2 lines to feed eased 31¢, to 311¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were back 16¢, to 322¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors slipped 7¢, averaging 216¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX Carcoar declined 4%, to 2,800 head. Quality was plainer week-on-week, with a better run of grown steers and bullocks, along with some well finished yearlings on offer. Not all the usual buyers operated, resulting in softer feeder demand, with the relevant sections trending cheaper as a result.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 13¢, averaging 305¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 21¢ lower, at 279¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors gained 22¢, averaging 311¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Barnawartha decreased 11%, to 1,700 head. Quality across trade weight categories was notable, with the usual field of buyers present. Restockers operated keenly in places, while a better quality offering of vealers sold to stronger competition compared to the previous sale.
- Heavy B2 vealer heifers to processors gained19¢, averaging 356¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 3¢, to 319¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were up 1¢, to 308¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 613¢, declining 6¢/kg cwt on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 4¢, averaging 334¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 291¢, up 3¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 291¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 220¢, back 2¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 328¢, back 5¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?