Wednesday daily cattle summary
08 March 2017
This week, cattle numbers at Roma Store increased 29% to 4,545 head. Quality varied across the offering, with scattered showers throughout the supply area sparking extra restocker interest. All the usual buyers were present, however not all operated fully – with suitable lines fluctuating throughout the sale.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers gained 1¢, averaging 340¢/kg
- Light C3 grown steers to restockers reached 310¢, averaging 301¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors gained 4¢, averaging 220¢/kg
CTLX Carcoar consignments declined 11%, to 2,506 head. Quality eased this week, with yearling feeder sections well supplied, however trade cattle were limited. Younger drafts to restockers were also hard to find, and competition softened as other sections presented in plainer condition.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed gained 12¢, averaging 329¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 23¢, at 302¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter slipped 7¢, averaging 208¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Barnawartha decreased 12% this week, to 1,500 head. Quality across trade weight categories slipped, with very few supplementary fed drafts on offer. Restocker interest improved for weaner steers and heifers in particular, with most selling to strong competition and a dearer trend recorded in places as a result.
- Medium B2 vealer steers to processors eased 3¢, averaging 357¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 17¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors declined 8¢, averaging 300¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 615.25¢, lifting 1.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 5¢, averaging 328¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 285¢, back 11¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 289¢/kg lwt, holding firm
- Medium cows averaged 217¢, back 1¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 328¢, up 1¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?