Wednesday daily cattle summary
24 August 2016
At Roma Store this week, cattle throughput increased 3% to 6,507 head. Consignments in store condition were well supplied despite light rainfall across the supply area, with quality very mixed. Restockers were particularly active, while feedlot buyers were slightly more selective on heavier weights.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 399¢, holding firm, while medium C3 lines to feeder buyers reached 390¢, and averaged 374¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers gained 22¢, averaging 384¢, while medium D3 yearling sections to feed averaged 367¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX increased 22%, to 2,355 head. Quality was mixed, with all weights and grades well supplied. The majority of the yearling sections presented in store condition, with prime cattle to suit trade orders limited. Not all the usual buyers attended, with one major feedlot buyer not operating and restockers bidding strongly.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 11¢, averaging 393¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 5¢ lower, at 372¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors gained 35¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 9¢, averaging 288¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga declined 2% this week, to 1,471 head. Quality improved across a larger number of supplementary fed cattle that were on offer, with yearlings making up the bulk of the smaller yarding. Prime veal were in short supply, and all the usual buying group operated, with some feeder orders more selective.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 6¢, averaging 372¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers were up 1¢, averaging 357¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to processors were back 15¢, averaging 330¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 707.75¢, back 11.50¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 3¢, to 371¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 5¢, on 337¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 7¢, to 331¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 251¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held firm on 386¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?