Wednesday daily cattle summary
31 August 2016
Cattle numbers at Roma Store declined 68% this week, to 2,066 head. Consignments slipped notably, with only a small number of mixed quality store cattle penned. Good quality yearlings sold mostly to restockers, while feedlot buyers operated keenly on suitable steers and heifers, with most trending dearer.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 14¢, averaging 412¢, while medium C3 sections to feed reached 388¢, averaging 374¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 392¢, up 9¢, while medium D3 lines to feed were back 22¢, averaging 344¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors eased 7¢, averaging 263¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX decreased 26%, to 1,736 head. Quality was again plain, with prime cattle supplies limited. Restockers operated keenly on vealers, while cow sections showed plenty of good cover. Yearling drafts to suit feeder orders were well represented, and all the usual buyers operated in a fluctuating market overall.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers sold to 402¢, averaging 393¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 17¢, averaging 363¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were back 11¢, averaging 278¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga declined 5%, to 1,400 head. Quality remained quite mixed, with yearling sections lacking finish. Not all export buyers were in attendance, however were somewhat overshadowed by domestic buyers operating fully.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 10¢, averaging 367¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed eased 2¢, averaging 355¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors sold to 349¢, averaging 343¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at 708.75¢, up 3¢ on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 4¢, on 373¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 1¢, to 328¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, to 336¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 261¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 383¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?