Wednesday daily cattle summary
07 September 2016
At Roma Store this week, cattle numbers increased 34% to 2,769 head. Most of the offering were drawn from usual south western supply areas, with good quality young cattle continuing to sell strongly. Restocker and feedlot buyers were more selective on plainer lines however, with the market mostly firm to slightly cheaper in places.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 6¢, averaging 418¢, while medium C3 lines to feed were back 6¢, to 367¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 13¢, averaging 380¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors were back 3¢, averaging 247¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX declined 50%, to 865 head. Following the wet conditions, yardings tightened on last week’s sale, with prime young cattle in limited supply and only a fair amount of quality seen throughout. A reasonable selection of cows were penned, and only a few drafts of well finished grown steers were on offer.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were back 1¢, averaging 392¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 1¢ higher, at 364¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors gained 2¢, averaging 280¢/kg
Cattle numbers at NVLX Wodonga decreased 14%, to 1,200 head. Quality improved across trade categories in particular this week, with the usual group of buyers competing in a robust market overall. Restocker competition was limited, with a tight selection of vealers selling to strong domestic competition.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were back 2¢, averaging 365¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed gained 11¢, averaging 365¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors sold to 368¢, averaging 350¢, and up 9¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled at 706.25¢/kg cwt, holding firm on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers held steady at 370¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 4¢, to 333¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 333¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, on 254¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 4¢, on 376¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?