Wednesday daily cattle summary
21 September 2016
As a result of the wet conditions, cattle numbers at Roma Store declined significantly this week, to just 617 head. Despite not all the regular buyers attending, market conditions remained firm, with light weight younger categories selling to strong demand.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 26¢, averaging 376¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were back 7¢, averaging 370¢/kg
- Light C2 grown heifers to feed gained 7¢, averaging 330¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX decreased 39% this week, to 689 head. Continued wet weather saw numbers tighten, with quality good throughout most categories and yearlings well supplied. Not all the usual buyers operated in a dearer market overall, with some drafts of milk and two tooth steers presenting in notable condition.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 13¢, averaging 397¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 7¢ dearer, at 386¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter gained 7¢, averaging 286¢/kg
This week at NVLX Wodonga, consignments declined 22% to 1,245 head. Scattered showers saw numbers reduced, with a fair level of quality seen throughout the offering. Grass finished and supplementary fed yearlings were well supplied, and the usual buying group competed in a dearer market.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 361¢, easing 1¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were back 5¢, averaging 351¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to processors eased 2¢, averaging 355¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 712¢, declining 4¢/kg cwt, on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers lifted 5¢, to 385¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers gained 4¢, to 356¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 7¢, to 351¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 4¢, to 262¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, on 379¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?