Wednesday daily cattle summary
28 September 2016
At Roma Store this week, cattle numbers lifted considerably – yarding 1,600 head. Access issues continue to subdue consignments throughout the supply area, with lighter weight yearlings and weaner sections making up the bulk of the offering. Quality was fairly good, with yearling drafts to feed limited.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers gained 54¢, to 420¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling heifers to feed were up 10¢, to 363¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to feed eased 5¢, averaging 351¢/kg
CTLX consignments increased 83%, to 1,263 head. Quality improved across most categories this week, with yearling sections well represented, and selling strongly to trade buyers. Not all export buyers operated, with grown cattle in short supply and female sections making up the majority.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed eased 8¢, averaging 377¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to slaughter gained 20¢, to 340¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter were back 6¢, averaging 269¢/kg
Throughput at NVLX Wodonga increased 37%, to 1,700 head. Despite the notably wet conditions, numbers lifted this week – with quality improving overall. Grass finished and supplementary fed yearling sections were well supplied and the usual group of buyers operated in a fluctuating market.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were up 11¢, to 372¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors gained 2¢, averaging 356¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter sold to 376¢, averaging 362¢, up 7¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 717.50¢, up 3.50¢/kg cwt, on where it had finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, to 378¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 10¢, to 337¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 7¢, to 345¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, on 262¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 3¢, on 386¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?