Wednesday daily cattle summary
26 October 2016
Cattle supplies at Roma Store declined 33% this week, to 5,800 head. Western consignments were well supplied, and all the usual buyers operated in what was a very mixed market overall. Demand for light weight yearling lines eased, while processors were particularly active on well-conditioned cows.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were back 18¢, averaging 403¢, while heavy C3 feeder lines slipped 13¢, to 345¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers finished 26¢ lower, at 366¢, while medium D3 drafts to feed eased 19¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors gained 5¢, averaging 252¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX Carcoar increased 3%, to 1,235 head. Heavy weight cows and grown steers presented in notable condition, while quality throughout young cattle sections remained fair. Not all the regular buyers operated in a mixed market, with a limited number of trade vealers on offer, resulting in a dearer trend.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 8¢, averaging 363¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 9¢ lower, at 307¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter sold to 262¢, averaging 246¢, back 9¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Barnawartha decreased 20%, to 1,600 head. Price trends varied throughout the sale this week, with domestic buyers setting the platform for the sale, resulting in a dearer trend for well-finished vealer and yearling sections. The usual group of buyers were present and competed in a fluctuating market.
- Heavy B2 vealer steers to slaughter were back 4¢, averaging 388¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 8¢, averaging 352¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors gained 4¢, averaging 321¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) settled on 666.75¢, down 8.25¢/kg cwt from where it was the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, to 350¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 3¢, on 299¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers dropped 4¢, to 305¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows slipped 3¢,on 233¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished 2¢ lower, on 361¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?